Friday, March 7, 2008

Viewing Nature

As I awoke this morning I lazily starred out the window at the lovely flakes of snow cascading down from the heavens and covering the earth like a beautiful white blanket. I had nothing in particular on my mind, I just felt privileged to be able to witness the stunning beauty of nature. As I walked into the den to write this post I non-chalantly look out the window to observe the visitors. At this very moment this is what I see. Two turkeys are nibbling on some corn grain by the bird feeder as they are cautiously approached by four deer. The turkey and deer are looking at each other and decide to share the grain. A fifth deer approaches and and seems to be dancing gracefully with one of the other deer while the others keep nibbling. The turkeys have their fill and decide to wander off. A cardinal just lands as I speak and joins the deer for a morning bite while about a dozen other birds and two squirrels join in the festivities. About another dozen singing and chirping birds sit comfortably on branches, trees, and the bird-house viewing the ceremony while others are moving about on the ground while the flakes keep lightly falling. Everyone is content, and I know this even though I am not a turkey, deer, bird, or squirrel...just as Chuang Tzu knew over 2,000 years ago that the fish in the river were happy even though Chuang Tzu was not a fish. And now two eagles land in the distance by the pond. Wow !!! What an absolutely beautiful sight that could not have been scripted any more elegant than how it has just naturally occurred before my very eyes. What a true and divine gift I have just received from heaven on this special morning. Hmmm, it seems like a perfectly orchestrated symphony, but deep down I know that nothing is orchestrated...it is natural, and I suppose that is why it is so truly exceptional. The creatures are expressing themselves with effortless eloquent beauty. I can't help but wonder what life would be like if humans expressed themselves in the same effortless manner as my morning visitors. And like John Lennon, " I may be a dreamer, but I'm not the only one". The divine gifts we receive from the Tao surround us at all times but we seem to miss them because we are not aware. All we need to do is to relax and silently observe and we would be amazed and astounded at the remarkable dialog we can experience with nature. This is what I believe to be true and ultimate liberation. It truly is wonderful to be alive.

2 comments:

Eric Teoh said...

Hi Andy,

I love this article! I get what you're trying to say. I got you man!

Cheers,
Eric.

Andy Nicola said...

Thanks Eric -

I knew you would understand what I was trying to express. I hope others do to. Take care my friend.

Very Best Regards
Andy